Modifying a Class Schedule

Adding Classes

Once registered, students may add classes at any time up until the published last day to add a class. Procedures for adding, dropping, swapping, and editing classes are at the Registrar’s website.

Adding Midterm Classes

Some classes are taught for only a portion of a semester. If a course that you want to enroll in has not yet begun, you may add the course, assuming it is open, at any time before the class begins.

Adding Non-Regularly Scheduled Classes

Some classes don’t have regularly scheduled meeting times. Examples are research and independent readings courses in which the student works individually with his or her instructor. Some academic units allow students to add these courses at any time during the semester. Others allow the adding of these courses only up to a certain point.

In either event, if a non-regularly scheduled class is added after the normal add deadline, the student must first receive the approval of his or her academic advising unit before adding the class with the Registration Office.

Changing Grading Option

Students may choose to change the grading basis for a specific course only during the first two weeks of a full semester. Changes in grading basis must be approved and processed in the student’s academic advising unit.

Changing Credit Hours

Variable credit (1, 2, or 3 credit hours) can be earned for some courses such as independent research credit. The amount of credit earned is determined by the quantity of work a student does for the class.

If a student wishes to change the credit being earned in a variable credit course he or she must first obtain the approval of his or her academic advising unit before adding the class with the Registration Office. Students also may have to obtain the written approval of their instructor.

Dropping Classes

Students may drop classes without any record of their enrollment appearing on the transcript only through the first third of a semester.

As always, check the academic calendar for each semester for specifics. You may drop a course via the same methods used to register.

Dropping classes may have consequences for time to degree completion, financial aid or other variables. If you have questions, you should first speak with your adviser. You should also talk with the instructor in the class before dropping it if your reason for dropping the class is poor performance. Often a weak beginning in a class can be strengthened with the proper guidance.

Withdrawing from Classes

Students may withdraw from individual classes (check the academic calendar for dates).

When withdrawing from a class a grade of “W” or “F” will be assigned. See information on grading for further information.

Before withdrawing from a class a student must first speak with the course instructor and obtain a signed copy of the form indicating what grade will be assigned. This form and the paperwork needed to withdraw must be approved in the student’s academic advising unit and then processed in person at the Registration Office. Visit the Registrar’s site for more information.

Withdrawing from a Semester

A student may withdraw from a semester by the end of the business day of the Monday of the last week of classes or prior to completing the final in a self-paced course. Finals are not included as part of the term for this purpose. If you withdraw from a semester during the drop period, no record of enrollment in specific classes will appear on the transcript and no grades will be assigned. However, if you withdraw from a semester after the drop deadline has passed, all courses in which you are enrolled will show on your transcript and you will receive a grade (“W” or “F”) in each class.

To withdraw from a semester you must sign required paperwork in your academic unit advising office.

Canceling Classes

If for some reason you decide to cancel all your classes for a given semester prior to the beginning of the semester, you should cancel your registration rather than withdrawing.

Canceling classes before the first day of classes allows a full refund of fees already paid, minus a small cancellation fee. You must cancel your registration with the early cancellation form (PDF) at the Office of the University Registrar.