Changing Advisers

There are many reasons why you might want or need to change your adviser:

  • You might have changed majors and need an adviser in a new department.
  • You might have an adviser with a style so different from your own that you find it hard to communicate effectively.
  • Your adviser might be on research leave and unavailable for a semester or a year.
  • You might have thought you changed advisers but that change isn’t reflected in the student database (because someone forgot to enter it).

If you are having a problem with your academic adviser, you may be able to change; however, in some departments only one adviser is available. You should contact the central Academic Advising Office in the School or College in which you are enrolled. Staff there may be able to assign you to a new adviser or refer you to the person in the department who can make the change.